The University of Maryland will celebrate the opening of the new state-of-the-art Brendan Iribe (ee-REEB’) Center for Computer Science and Engineering on Saturday, April 27, 2019. The Iribe Center will be a hub for technology at the heart of a new innovation district, among high-tech companies, government agencies and institutional colleagues. Bringing together the university's top-ranked Department of Computer Science and its renowned Institute for Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS), the Iribe Center will support groundbreaking research and education in virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, robotics, computer vision, machine learning, data science, and more.
Six floors of specialized labs, classrooms, auditoriums, offices and a fully equipped maker space offer unprecedented opportunities for students and faculty to innovate bold new applications for computer science. The new facility is made by possible by a $30 million gift from UMD Alumnus and Oculus Co-Founder Brendan Iribe and a $3.5 million gift from UMD Alumnus and Oculus Co-Founder Michael Antonov.
- Larry Hogan, Governor, State of Maryland
- Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr., President, Maryland Senate
- Robert Caret, Chancellor of the University System of Maryland
- Wallace D. Loh, President, University of Maryland
- Brendan Iribe, Co-Founder, Oculus
- Michael Antonov, UMD Alumnus and Co-Founder, Oculus
- Amitabh Varshney, Dean, UMD College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences
- Jamie Matthews, UMD Alumna and Computer Science Graduate Student
- Celebration Ceremony of the Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Engineering.
- Interactive demonstrations in virtual reality, robotics, and 3D printing.
- This event is closed to the public and open to pre-credentialed media.
Iribe Center Celebration Ceremony is Saturday, April 27 at 10 a.m.
TV Cameras need to be in place for security sweeps by 8 a.m.
Media please plan to arrive by 9:15 a.m.
Post-ceremony interactive demonstrations are from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Please note: this event will take place on Maryland Day, the university’s open house showcasing hundreds of events across campus, happening from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The Brendan Iribe Center for Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Maryland: 8125 Paint Branch Dr, College Park, MD 20742
Media check-in is on Floor G of the Brendan Iribe Center, near the general event registration table
Visit maps.umd.edu for a campus map
PARKING: Free parking upon request. Public transportation is encouraged.
RSVP: Media must RSVP by Thursday, April 25 at 6 p.m. to firstname.lastname@example.org