20th Annual Maryland Day: A One-Day Celebration of Learning and Discovery
Hundreds of free, family-friendly exhibitions, demonstrations and performances will take place on Saturday, April 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Natifia Mullings , 301-405-3468 email@example.com
The University of Maryland will welcome thousands of visitors to its 20th annual Maryland Day on Saturday, April 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. A one-day celebration of learning and discovery, Maryland Day features hundreds of free, family-friendly exhibitions, performances, and demonstrations that showcase how UMD students and faculty are transforming the community, the state and the world.
Events and activities will span the entire campus, across six learning neighborhoods: Terp Town Center, Ag Day Avenue, Arts and Design Place, Biz and Society Hill, Sports and Rec Row, and Science and Tech Way. For the 20th celebration, the University of Maryland has compiled a “Top 20 at 20” list which features some of the most popular Maryland Day events, as well as new events this year. These events include:
- African-American History Tour—Take part in a walking tour led by experts to uncover UMD’s history of the perseverance, sacrifices and dedication of African Americans in making the university inclusive and accessible to all.
- Bucket Drumming Lessons—Explore the African rhythms of Gahu with the School of Music and the Clarice and develop unique beats using only buckets and drumsticks.
- Escape Room—Designed and built by students, the UMD Escape Room is a fun and exciting puzzle challenge. Test your wits to escape the room before the time runs out.
- Life in the Anchor Chair—Ever wonder what it’s like to deliver the nightly news? Participate in an interactive experience in the anchor’s chair in the Eaton Broadcast Center.
- Life-Size Home Fire Simulation—The Department of Fire Protection Engineering will set fire to two life-size residential rooms on the Mitchell Fields: one with sprinklers, the other without. Witness the dramatic life safety and property protection provided by sprinkler systems.
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball Autographs—Join team members on McKeldin Mall’s Main Stage for a photo and autograph session. One photo and autograph per person; the line is limited to the first 500 people.
- Fun with Robots—The Autonomous Unmanned Systems Stream and Department of Aerospace Engineering invite guests to the front of the Manufacturing Building to interact with groups of small robots built by students.
- Inspect Petting Zoo—Learn about tarantulas, exotic insects, scorpions, bees, millipedes, and more.
For the full top 20 events at Maryland Day, visit www.marylandday.umd.edu.
In addition, Maryland Day will include a fashion show that spotlights the latest in Terp trends and a volunteer opportunity to package meals with Terps Against Hunger. Visitors can also collect new limited-edition commemorative pins at the event. Each neighborhood will feature a unique themed pin. For pin locations, visit www.marylandday.umd.edu.
Maryland Day will take place rain or shine. Parking and admission are free. To learn more about Maryland Day or to use the Maryland Day planning tool, visit www.marylandday.umd.edu.
Follow @UMDRightNow on Twitter for news, UMD experts and campus updates