Studio Space at the University of Maryland:
- The Hornbake Media Studio in 0302HH Nonprint Media offers a number of set configurations including bookshelf, greenscreen and UMD backdrop as well as pipe and drape. We are also able to offer radio inteviews via ISDN and video conferencing via Skype. The studio offers both light panels and softlights but users will need to bring their own camera and audio gear.The studio is available for use by media as well as facutly, staff and students at no cost provided the interview is Maryland-centric. Please call University Communications at 301-405-4621 to book the Hornback Studio.
Hours of Operation: During the regular school year, Nonprint Media (where the studio is located) is open from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Friday hours are 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Weekends: Saturday Noon to 5 p.m. and Sunday from Noon until 10 p.m. There may be exceptions due to holidays, Winter Term and other events. Please ask when booking for availability or check this library website for more information.
- The Robert H. Smith School of Business in Van Munching Hall has a insert ("flash") studio for live or taped interviews with any faculty expert. The flash studio is connected to the Verizon Audio-Video Operations Center (AVOC) switch via the university's fiber line that terminates at Encompass Digital Media. Please contact Public Relations and Marketing Manager Carrie Handwerker at 301-405-5833 or on cell: 240-839-0982 for more information and booking via their provider - Video Link - Phone: 617-340-4300.
- UMTV in Tawes Hall on campus is available for studio, field (including campus events) and post-production services. UMTV has a newly upgraded control room and remote gear for production work. For more information and costs, call Bill Parker at 301-405-6251.
- Streaming, Feed Point and other Services: Our Distance Education Technology and Services (DETS) unit can provide streaming and live feeds via data (VOIP) as well as fiber line feeds to AVOC (which you arrange for distribution from there), and video conferences. DETS also maintains various links around campus in order to serve the media in more convenient locations and can set up fiber services for remote shoots or video coverage from any campus venue including Comcast Center and Byrd Stadium. Contact Assistant Director Marty Ronning at 301-405-4899 for more information and costs.
- University of Maryland Marketing and Communications has its own Multimedia Production Unit that is available for projects within the university community. For more information and costs, contact Director of Video Broadcasting and Multimedia Production Gabe Unterman at 301-405-7425.
- The University of Maryland has gained national prominence and attention for its intercollegiate athletics teams. A staff of media relations professionals stand ready to assist media in any aspect of coverage of our varsity sports - from originations of live broadcasts to interviews with student-athletes, coaches and staff. We have the capability to assist in live coverage at each venue - from Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium to Comcast Center and others. Please contact the Athletics Media Relations Office at 301-314-7064 for information regarding facilities, accommodations and policies for covering Terrapin athletics.
- Capital News Service is the Philip Merrill College of Journalism award-winning student-run news operation. CNS offers video feeds of their packages and b-roll via the web at no cost: http://www.cns.umd.edu/tv/. CNS operates only during the regular school year.
ISDN Radio Feeds
Our ISDN transcoder is a Musicam RoadRunner that "contains a full-featured monaural audio mixer with two microphone inputs and a third input switchable between microphone and line levels. The analog audio section also contains a wide array of outputs: two individually adjustable headphone outputs, plus two unbalanced and one balanced line level output." It can talk to virtually any codec you might have (we've done interviews with the BBC, NPR, and local many stations). You can download the manual if you need more information. We have two sports-style headsets with directional microphones as well, so that two guests can be interviewed at the same time with the same audio quality.
ISDN SETTINGS: L2 - 128 - Mono
The ISDN telephone line is: 301-226-9927 (dial it twice for both lines). We request that media dial into our line. Producers and control room engineers should call the "House" telephone in the studio at 301-405-0151.
Webcams, Skype and Video Conferencing
University Communications offers a webcam with Skype connectivity from our Hornbake Studio for preinterviews or low-res interviews. Our Skype name is: umdnewsdesk - add us to your contact list!
In addition - there are a growing number of webcams around campus - including a signature shot of McKeldin Mall that is free to use for your newscasts (see below left).
A number of our faculty also have webcams on their computers should you want that option.
Video conferencing facilities are located across campus should you need that resource.