Brian Ullmann 301-314-6650
Campus-wide Integration Adopts 'THINK B1G' Theme
COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The University of Maryland today announced plans to commemorate the historic move to the Big Ten Conference. The "THINK B1G" plan includes a series of special events, campus celebrations, and promotional activities to mark the University's entry into the Big Ten Conference on July 1, 2014.
"The move to the Big Ten Conference is a university-wide effort," said President Wallace D. Loh. "It's more than a change in athletic conference. Arts, academics, research – all will be enhanced by this transition."
"For our alumni, for our fans, for our students and for the entire university community, this is an exciting time to be a Terp," said director of athletics Kevin Anderson. "I could not be more excited to start competing in the Big Ten Conference."
Key components of the plan, which was developed by a university task force that represented all six divisions of the university plus athletics, include:
- Annual Red-White Spring Football Game – This college football tradition will be played under the lights on Friday, April 11 at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium, and will feature Big Ten Network t-shirt giveaways and post-game fireworks.
- Fearless Ideas Events – A series of events for alumni and friends featuring special 'THINK B1G' programming. Events include Maryland in Manhattan, April 24; Fearless Ideas Rockville, May 1; and Fearless Ideas Arlington, May 8.
- "From the Gridiron to the Battlefield: Progress in Understanding and Mitigating Brain Injury" – Taking advantage of UMD's position as the closest institution in the Big Ten to our nation's capital, a special Traumatic Brain Injury Research Forum will bring together University of Maryland researchers with the head of the CIC's Traumatic Brain Injury Research Collaboration.
- 16th Annual Maryland Day – This annual event draws over 100,000 alumni and friends to College Park to enjoy over 450 exhibits, events and performances. On Hornbake Plaza, there will be autograph sessions with the football and men's and women’s basketball teams, plus an interactive tent with the Big Ten Network, plus plenty of THINK B1G giveaways.
- THINK B1G Campus Celebration – A two-day celebration marking the official joining of the Big Ten Conference, June 30-July 1. Includes a special event in Baltimore and a Big Ten Night at Nationals Park on June 30, and a campus celebration featuring food, giveaways and a special program featuring President Loh, Kevin Anderson, and other surprises on July 1.
- Destination Maryland: THINK B1G – A new conference for influential high school guidance counselors from Big Ten markets is planned for summer 2014.
- Campus-wide Launch Event – On first day of classes, September 2, a campus-wide celebration event featuring B1G games and giveaways.
- Homecoming Weekend – Special inaugural season merchandise, commemorative memorabilia, new signage, a Homecoming Festival on McKeldin Mall, and much more is being planned for Homecoming Weekend, October 16-19, all around the 2014 theme – THINK B1G.
- Special Unveiling of a new THINK B1G Ice Cream Flavor - A special commemorative B1G ice cream flavor will be ready for unveiling at the July 1 on-campus event, courtesy of the chefs in Dining Services.
In addition, a comprehensive two-month THINK B1G marketing campaign is planned to include outdoor billboards, campus signage, social media marketing, contests and giveaways.
For more information on these and other events, please visit http://www.umd.edu/THINKB1G/.